Saturday, October 22, 2011

Edgar Allan Poe books

In honour of this spooky month, I'm going to showcase all of my vintage horror/monster-related books throughout October.

Behold, my treasured Poe collection:

Top left: Poe A Critical Study, Edward H. Davidson, 1964
Top Right: Writers and Critics Edgar Allan Poe, Geoffrey Rans, 1965
Bottom Left: Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe, Collected and edited with an intro and commentary by Harold Beaver, 1976
Bottom Right: The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales,  Edgar Allan Poe, 1960

I absolutely adore both of these covers. The cover on the left shows a detail from Odilon Redon's 'L'oeil comme un balloon bizarre se dirige vers L'INFINI', a lithograph inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, in the Bilbliotheque Nationale, Paris. The cover art on the book on the right is probably my favourite Signet Classic cover. I'm a huge fan of Signet Classic covers as it is and this one really stands out to me. The font, the illustration, and the colours are just my taste. 

The first page of The Fall of the House of Usher. I think most Signet Classics have a simple illustration of the author and a brief bio at the start. I dig it. 

Love it when there is a little pen/ink illustration inside a book

Chapter one of Writers and Critics Edgar Allan Poe

So, this one is not a vintage book and I'm really limiting these blogs to just my vintage ones, but I thought it made for a pretty neat photo so am sneaking it in. This is of my large volume of Poe's complete tales and poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers