Thursday, January 21, 2010
Apartment arts and crafts
These are light switch plates that I made. Super easy to do.
The top one is of course a poster from Georges Méliès A Trip To The Moon.
For that one here are the steps:
1. Take light switch off wall
2. Print and cut whatever picture you want so that its edges can cover the whole switch.
3. White glue the image to the plate
4. With an exacto knife, cut an X where the rectangular hole is
5. Fold the flaps in. Add extra glue to make them stick if necessary.
6. With the exacto knife, cut little Xs where the screw holes are and push them in using a sharp pencil (or the screws that go in them)
6. After the glue is dry, spray using Krylon Crystal Clear. Do about 3 coats, letting each coat dry for about ten minutes. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. I don't have a balcony so i had to do it in my apartment near an open window. That wasn't nearly well ventilated enough and i think i lost about 174 brain cells.
7. Screw back into wall and enjoy.
For the other style, I got the images from a sweet early 70's French comic book i scored at a garage sale. The steps for that one are:
1. Take light switch off wall.
2. Paint switch whatever colour you want.
3. Cut out images and white glue them on, but make sure you leave the holes open.
4. Once the glue is dry, spray with Krylon Crystal Clear. 3 coats, waiting ten minutes between each coat.
5. Screw back into wall and enjoy.
I'm going to do more of these soon. It's an easy way to add charming details to the ole apartment.